Worcestershire’s Emily Arlott has been called up to the England squad for next week’s Test against India at Bristol. The 23-year-old seamer took 5-29, including a quadruple-wicket-maiden, for Central Sparks against Southern Vipers last weekend, and joins a 17-player squad which also includes Tash Farrant and newly contracted batter Sophia Dunkley.
There is no room at the inn however for Danni Wyatt, despite having scored 3 consecutive half-centuries in the RHF this season; or Katie George, who is currently injured – otherwise, the squad includes all other centrally contracted players.
If she ultimately plays, Arlott would be perhaps the most left-field England selection since Holly Colvin’s debut as an unknown teenager in 2005. Like Colvin, she would be a wicket-taking option – while she isn’t going to break the speed gun, Arlott is zippy and can attack the stumps while also moving the ball away from the right-hander. Crucially, she won’t give much away either.
England have also taken the opportunity of this squad announcement to instate Nat Sciver as official vice captain on a permanent basis, taking over from Anya Shrubsole as Heather Knight’s deputy. At 28, Sciver is only 2 years younger than Knight, so if there is an element of succession planning here it is quite short-term. However, it may prove to be a smart move if Knight is planning to retire in the next couple of years, with (as yet) no obvious heir amongst the younger generation.
All 17 players are already in quarantine ahead of the 4-day Test, which begins next Wednesday; but the squad is likely to be trimmed before then to allow players to turn out for their regional sides in the RHF.
- Heather Knight (Western Storm, captain)
- Emily Arlott (Central Sparks)
- Tammy Beaumont (Lightning)
- Katherine Brunt (Northern Diamonds)
- Kate Cross (Thunder)
- Freya Davies (South East Stars)
- Sophia Dunkley (South East Stars)
- Sophie Ecclestone (Thunder)
- Georgia Elwiss (Southern Vipers)
- Tash Farrant (South East Stars)
- Sarah Glenn (Central Sparks)
- Amy Jones (Central Sparks)
- Nat Sciver (Northern Diamonds, vice captain)
- Anya Shrubsole (Western Storm)
- Mady Villiers (Sunrisers)
- Fran Wilson (Sunrisers)
- Lauren Winfield-Hill (Northern Diamonds)