Suzie Bates has been included in New Zealand’s 16-strong squad to tour England in September, suggesting that she is hopeful of being fit to play in her first international matches since an injury forced her to leave the WBBL bubble last November to undergo shoulder surgery.
Sophie Devine, who took a break from international cricket earlier this year citing fatigue, will also return as captain for the England tour.
However, Amelia Kerr has opted out of the tour due to personal circumstances, citing the need to prioritise her mental health and well-being.
“I love representing New Zealand and playing for the White Ferns,” Kerr said. “However, after plenty of consultation with my support network, putting my mental health and well-being first is my number one priority.”
“I’ve not taken this decision lightly – I feel this is best for me at the current time.”
Brooke Halliday, who impressed on debut against England earlier in the year, has been included; while Wellington Blaze wicket-keeper Jess McFadyen and Central Districts seamer Claudia Green have both earned maiden call-ups to the side, after impressing in domestic cricket last season.
The tour begins on 1 September with a T20 at Chelmsford, and will comprise 3 T20 matches and 5 ODIs in total.
The full New Zealand squad is below:
- Sophie Devine (c) (Wellington Blaze)
- Amy Satterthwaite (vc) (Canterbury Magicians)
- Suzie Bates (Otago Sparks)
- Lauren Down (Auckland Hearts)
- Claudia Green (Central Districts Hinds)
- Maddy Green (Wellington Blaze)
- Brooke Halliday (Northern Districts Spirit)
- Hayley Jensen (Otago Sparks)
- Jess Kerr (Wellington Blaze)
- Katey Martin (wk) (Otago Sparks)
- Leigh Kasperek (Wellington Blaze)
- Rosemary Mair (Central Districts Hinds)
- Jess McFadyen (wk) (Wellington Blaze)
- Thamsyn Newton (Wellington Blaze)
- Hannah Rowe (Central Districts Hinds)
- Lea Tahuhu (Canterbury Magicians)